Monday, January 8, 2018

Upcoming Exhibition: 'Beyond Ophelia' - A Celebration of Lizzie Siddal, Artist and Poet

I am here to help spread the exciting news of an upcoming exhibition in the United Kingdom about the art works of Elizabeth Siddal known as Lizzie Siddal. Anyone who loves the Pre-Raphaelites will instantly know who she was.  

How I wish I could go but I am in the United States. As always, I have the best and most loyal friends and followers here. I ask you if anyone attends this coming March and would like to send me jpg images, any written materials as well, I would be most grateful.  

Found below are text and image taken from the National Trust page. Also, linked below.


Lovers Listening to Music by Elizabeth Siddal, pen and ink drawing, 1854


'Beyond Ophelia' - A Celebration of Lizzie Siddal, Artist and Poet
Wightwick Manor, National Trust
1st March- 24th December 2018

Only the second solo exhibition of her artwork, this exhibition at Wightwick Manor reinstates Lizzie Siddal as an important and influential artist and poet.

A professional member of the Pre-Raphaelite artistic circle, she is, however, remembered today mainly as the model for the iconic Millais painting, Ophelia, and as wife and muse of the Pre-Raphaelite artist Dante Gabriel Rossetti.
‘Beyond Ophelia’ examines Siddal’s style; subject matter; depiction of women; her influence on other artists; and the prejudice she faced as a professional female artist in the patriarchal Victorian art world.

In 1961, Lady Rosalie Mander, an art historian and biographer of the Pre-Raphaelites, and her husband Sir Geoffrey Mander, bought a large collection of Lizzie Siddal artworks at auction for Wightwick Manor. Wightwick’s collection of 12 Siddal artworks, along with loans of other drawings previously owned by the Manders’, are bought back together in this exhibition for the first time.
For more information on the upcoming exhibition,  National Trust UK




1 comment:

Hels said...

I must say that I too know Lizzie Siddal mainly as the model for Millais's Ophelia, and as wife and muse of Dante Gabriel Rossetti. But I do recognise Lizzie's self portrait and like it a lot!

My review of The Unfinished Business of Eadie Browne by Freya North

  When your present meets your past, what do you take with you - and what do you leave behind? ** Eadie Browne is an odd child with unusual ...