Sunday, December 9, 2018

Writing workshop and Poetry!

Nuyorican Poet Café

Allen Ginsberg called the café, "the most integrated place on the planet."

Founded in 1973, the Nuyorican Poets Café began as a living room salon in the East Village apartment of writer and poet Miguel Algarin. Over the last 40 years, the Cafe has served as a home for groundbreaking works of poetry, music, theater and visual arts. A multicultural and multi-arts institution, the Café gives voice to a diverse group of rising poets, actors, filmmakers and musicians. 

This weekend I attended a writing workshop in the heart of the Lower East Side of New York City.  The focus was Social Media for Artists and Writers taught by Capicu Culture co-founders George Torres aka Urban Jibero and Juan Santiago aka Papo Swiggity.  

During this two hour session I gained so many useful tips from every subject regarding how to use social media sites to your advantage personally and professionally.  

Perhaps my favorite part of the workshop was the writing portion where the subject of how your passion drives you to how your creativity and love for what you do takes shape for you through social media.  I wrote about how starting my blog, eight years ago, not only gave me remarkable creative freedom but changed my life forever. So, 
I focused on love and when asked to write a poem about how your creativity took shape, this following poem came out immediately.  I haven't written poetry since I was twelve years old. I'd like to share it with you all. 

Freedom 
By Kimberly Eve

I wanted to be heard and not judged
Not whispered about in corners
With snickering and sarcasm

I didn't want the visual attention
Just the audial notation

Instead of fear I was met with warm smiles and sighs
Long phone calls and nights out in cafes

What I discovered by being pushed and kicked through the door 
that held my fear was love and acceptance

Please visit Nuyorican Poets Cafe



No comments:

Book Reviews: on books to be published: Enlightenment by Sarah Perry and The Skeleton Key by Susan Stokes-Chapman

  Book Description  Thomas Hart and Grace Macauley are fellow worshippers at the Bethesda Baptist chapel in the small Essex town of Aldleigh...