Friday, July 26, 2013

Anne Thackeray Ritchie and photographs of Julia Margaret Cameron and Lionel Tennyson

I never do this but I've bought two books/biographies about the life of Anne Thackeray Ritchie. She lived from (9 June 1837 – 26 February 1919). She was the daughter of William Makepeace Thackeray. She was a novelist, essayist, and memoirist. She and her father knew The Tennyson's very well throughout his life amongst others. 

Well, my books arrived earlier today and one in particular contained some beautiful photographs that I've never seen before. One of Julia Margaret Cameron and one of Lionel Tennyson, son of Alfred Tennyson looking quite Dickensian. I just had to share these few photos with you all.  


Julia Maragaret Cameron's house, Dimbola in 1871

I have never seen this photograph of Julia Margaret Cameron playing her Erridge Piano, 1863, by Oscar Gustave Rejlander. 

Son of Alfred Lord Tennyson, Lionel Tennyson, no year provided but looking rather Dickensian. I just love this photograph!

Lionel Tennyson's widow, Eleanor, photographed after his death but no year provided

One of the last photographs of Anne Thackeray Ritchie (Anny reading) no year provided

Just a quick post. I hope you enjoyed the photographs and have a lovely weekend <3



2 comments:

Kevin Marsh said...

Hello Kimberly,

Lionel must have been young when he died judgung by the photograph of his wife, (unless he married a child bride)!

Again some lovely photographs, as you say especially the one of Lionel looking distinctly Dickensian. Is that snow falling around him or just the quality of the photograph?

Lovely books.

Kimberly Eve said...

Hi Kevin,
Yes, Lionel died in 1886, at the age of 32. In 1885, he and his wife were invited by Lord Dufferin to India. He caught Jungle Fever in Assam and by the time they reached Calcutta he fell ill. He died at sea from Malaria they think while on his journey home. I don't know much about his wife but I don't think she was a child bride ;)
Yes, in the photograph, he was walking in the snow! I just wish there was a year provided.

My review of The Unfinished Business of Eadie Browne by Freya North

  When your present meets your past, what do you take with you - and what do you leave behind? ** Eadie Browne is an odd child with unusual ...